Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I am 28 year old mother of one who is finally taking action and changing my career/ following my dream. At present I am a Mother, Wife, Student, Case Manager and Maitre'd in that order! For the past 7 years I have been working as a Case Manager and Youth Worker with a focus on Training and Mentoring for early school leavers. It was doing this that got me thinking about teaching and how I would like to work with young people before they leave school. I would eventually love to work as a Guidence Counsellor and put all my years working as in Case Management to good use but that is a longer term goal and I am taking things one day at a time!A you can see from the title of this blog I love quotes! So I will finish up with a quote that I love from one of my favorite authors,which I think summarizes this course perfectly for me! "Experience: the most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S Lewis

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Use of Avatars in class


Get a Voki now!



This posting is about a week delayed due to some Internet connection issues, it was made last week as an example of how avatars can be used in class, in this case, I have used a Koala to introduce a class.

This would be an excellent tool to engage students and have them paying attention at the start of the lesson. They would also be a great resource to use to apply Kearsley and Schneidermens Relate, Create, Donate Theory to a lesson. Students relate to the novel nature of the avatar, create their own voki and donate their voki to a public forum or real life scenario.

I would have like to have a microphone as the Koala needs a different voice! I could also imagine using avatars for longer activities such as teaching students songs and languages. These could also be saved and used again later in other learning activities.

Reference:

Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved from CQUniversity e-course, EDED20491 ICTs for learning design, http://e-courses.cqu.edu.au.

http://www.squidoo.com/voki#

No comments:

Post a Comment