Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I am 28 year old mother of one who is finally taking action and changing my career/ following my dream. At present I am a Mother, Wife, Student, Case Manager and Maitre'd in that order! For the past 7 years I have been working as a Case Manager and Youth Worker with a focus on Training and Mentoring for early school leavers. It was doing this that got me thinking about teaching and how I would like to work with young people before they leave school. I would eventually love to work as a Guidence Counsellor and put all my years working as in Case Management to good use but that is a longer term goal and I am taking things one day at a time!A you can see from the title of this blog I love quotes! So I will finish up with a quote that I love from one of my favorite authors,which I think summarizes this course perfectly for me! "Experience: the most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S Lewis

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Powerpoint Presentation



Above is my PowerPoint presentation, I did have a video in this, however it did not seem to transfer in my presentation so here is the video which I would have used in my introduction.


UN Secretary General Welcome Message for the 2010 International Year of Biodiversity from CBD on Vimeo.


The Learning Framework Theories behind the construction of this presentation include Kearsley and Schiedermans Learning Engagement Theory(1998)In the presentation I have included questions which are designed to encourage and initiate collaborative learning amongst students by prompting them share ideas with each other on how they can help the biodiversity cause.

I have also kept in mind Marzano and Pickerings, Dimensions of Learning This PowerPoint has been designed as an introduction to a topic with the aim of students acquiring some declarative knowledge of this subject and constructing meaning from this knowledge and I hope I have included different types of media (auditory, written, visual) to cater for different learning styles.

My challenges completing this activity was first the time it took to research and access resources in order to put together my presentation. It also took me some time to transfer this to my blog and some media included in the PowerPoint was lost in this process. For those familiar with PowerPoint and using blogs this would not have been as significant a problem as it was for me!

The presentation is aimed at a year 6/7 class and it did take me some time to condense and construct the information to something which was suitable for this year level, which I am hoping that it is! I have tried to keep the presentation as short as possible as it is just supposed to be an introduction to a lesson or unit of work and I think a longer presentation would loose students interest. It has also been designed to play as a slide show or used in sections throughout an entire lesson with activities in between slides. Any feedback and ideas are welcome!
Reference:

Aldred, Scot (2010) in Week 7 2010 - PowerPoint Based on the Readings.

Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved from CQUniversity e-course, EDED20491 ICTs for learning design, http://e-courses.cqu.edu.au.

Marzano, R. J., & Pickering, D. J. (with Arrendondo, D. E., Paynter, D. E., Blackburn, G. J., Brandt, R. S., Pollock, J.E., Moffett, C.A & Whisler, J. S.). (1997). Dimensions of learning teacher’s manual (2nd ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment